Thursday, October 2, 2008

Car woes

Yes - this is my piece of @(#*$& car being offloaded into my driveway. It seems like we've some kind of trouble or another with this car since almost day one. Thank heaven we had Eli to work on it so much (and David, who traded services with Eli so the we didn't have to pay an arm and leg for the work). I was worried when we came up here, because we don't have anyone to work on the car anymore. We did pretty good for about a year.

One day, Jon was driving it to work and it stopped on the freeway. I didn't have time to go get it, as I had a job interview that morning. After the interview, I picked Jon up for his lunch hour and we went to get the car. We were surprised to see it up on a tow truck. Apparently, Idaho has some kind of abandoned vehicle policy - cars can't be unattended on the side of the freeway for more than 3 hrs. Luckily, we were able to have it towed directly to our house instead of the impound lot, or wherever they were going to take it. Jon replace the battery and all was well.

Until one morning after I dropped the kids off at daycare. When I got back in the car to go to work, it wouldn't start. So I went back inside to try to figure something out. I decided to walk home (just around the corner). Before I started walking, I tried the car again, and it worked. I promptly drove it home and traded it for the truck, which was luckily at home. I tried not to drive the car after that. A couple of weeks later, it did the same thing at the babysitter's house again. This time I couldn't get it started. Jon happened to have that day off of work, so he drove me to work and by the time he went to get the car, it started. It kept doing that for a while - it would work fine, then not start. But if we waited a few minutes, it would start just fine.

One day, Jon drove it to work, and it didn't start. Luckily, I work just down the street from him, so he took the truck. When he came back to get me, we tried the car again - no go. That was a Wednesday. The car didn't start on Thursday..... or Friday. Then David and Laura got here for their bi-annual visit. Saturday was a cold, rainy day. Jon and David went downtown to check the car - still wouldn't start. On the way back, something hits the windshield of the truck. Not a tiny rock or pebble that would make a small crack. Something bigger. Like a duck. Yeah, that's right - a duck flew into right into the middle of the windsheild and busted it all up.

I promptly made arrangements for the car to be towed home (again) and for someone to come fix the windsheild of the truck. All of this is before 9 am on a Saturday morning. What a day. We got the windshield fixed and David fixed the car and all is well. At least for the time being...

7 comments:

Beth said...

I can't believe a duck flew into your windshield! That is so crazy!
Sorry about all the car troubles. I think cars are more trouble than they are worth sometimes!

Kim said...

That is funny about the duck (well, maybe not funny for you, as you had to pay to get the window fixed).

Car troubles are the worst. I remember stopping at a stoplight one time and I heard a big clunk. Something had fallen out of the bottom of the car. All of a sudden I had no power steering. Do you know how hard it is to turn the steering wheel on your car without it? Luckily Brian was with me. We got the car into a parking lot and had it towed.

It's a little scary how dependent we are on our cars.

Becca said...

Wow! Cars suck. Although the Duck is a good story.

Teresa said...

See, this is an advantage of living in Arizona, you would have a father in law that could fix cars nearby.

LauraB said...

Yeah, what Teresa said! Also, there aren't many mallard ducks flying around the valley. See, TWO reasons to live in Arizona!!

Jon said...

Arizona drivers are crazy...no way!

Teresa said...

You are one to talk Jon. I actually think the roads are safer here since you left.