Friday, June 8, 2007

How we got here...

Okay, I guess it's time for us to join the blog club. Fair warning... I can almost guarantee this won't be updated daily. I'm shooting for once or twice a week to start!

I guess I'll start at the beginning of our adventure. Last fall, we got the news that Qwest was closing their call center in Phoenix (where Jon worked) and we had the opportunity to transfer to Boise, ID, Pocatello, ID or Des Moines, IA. I visited Des Moines in August once and the humidity just about killed me. Pocatello is just too small of a town. So, that left Boise. We took a little trip up here in October to see if we would even like it here. The view from the plane while we were landing was enough to convince Jon.

So, he came up here right after Thanksgiving and Logan, Lexi and I joined him at the end of March. That sounds like a long time to be without him, but luckily, he was able to take 2 months off of work when Lexi was born, so we really weren't without him for that long.

Our first few weeks here were spent in a tiny one bedroom apartment. Lexi slept in her bassinet, Logan shared a bed with me, and Jon was lucky enough to get the mattress on the floor of the living area. It was great fun, let me tell you. I actually thought it was okay - the worst part was not having a washer/dryer.

After about 2 weeks, I took the kids to Colorado to visit my parents. We had a great time - Logan did not leave his Papo's side the entire time. One of his favorite things to do there was play the guitar and sing. He also enjoyed "garage work". I'm not sure what that is. I only know they spent a lot of time in the garage.


We also took a trip to the Denver Aquarium while we were there. It was Logan's second visit - he just loves that place. They have a sting-ray exhibit. Logan bought some fish to feed them. He held the fish in his hands (I was surprised he did) but he refused to let the sting-rays eat from his hand (not surprised at that). His favorite thing, however, was not any kind of fish. It was the pirate treasure he found. He was very concerned because the jewels were all glued down.

While we were off gavalanting in Colorado, Jon was busy moving us into our new house. After much discussion, we decided to rent a house for a year. By the time the lease is up, Jon will have been here for almost 18 months, which is all he's required to stay before he can transfer somewhere else. Yes, we're already planning our departure from Idaho. Unlike some other Lambson's we know, we don't think that 1 year really means 4!

We do, however, think that it means 2. After about 1 1/2 months in the new house, we realized we really don't like renting and would much rather own a place. So we went house shopping over Memorial Day weekend and bought a house. We actually bought 3. But then we realized we could only afford 1, so we backed out of the other 2. It was a crazy weekend. So here's our new house. We move in a couple of weeks. It's a good thing I wasn't completely unpacked already - now I'm already half done packing! The great thing is the house is 3145 sqaure feet - so we have plenty of room for visitors! This new purchase does mean we'll most likely be here for at least 2 years now, but we're okay with that. It really is beautiful here. And it's not 100 degrees, either. In fact, a few days ago it was 60 and raining. It was great.

2 comments:

LauraB said...

WOO-HOO! We gotcha!! Don't forget you were "tagged" - starting thinking about those 8 things you're going to share!

Heather said...

Yay! You have a blog. I am so excited to be able to see all of the fun stuff you have going on.